EIRE PIT BULLS
TO VIEW THE FULL SITE YOU MUST JOIN THE FORUM. THIS WILL ONLY TAKE A MINUTE.
EIRE PIT BULLS
TO VIEW THE FULL SITE YOU MUST JOIN THE FORUM. THIS WILL ONLY TAKE A MINUTE.
EIRE PIT BULLS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a open forum to discuss the American Pit Bull terrier, not only in Ireland but worldwide

HomeEire linksLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

newborn in killarney

Go down 
+6
Hayls25
izzy11
jumper
Harry
vinny
ellenoh2003
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ellenoh2003
puppy
puppy
ellenoh2003

newborn in killarney - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 3:30 am

I get what ye're saying, i'm the defensive type hence what I said,more so, the way I said it, I know what I have, i'm not a Muppet,I certainly know nice,lazy, soft out, dopey things, human or animal (",) can be all that but have dangerous CAPABILITIES...which is the key fact here. Sure I had my cheekbone bust by a bullmastiff on the beach, all he was doing was running back to me when called, but he was just a f ing ox!

I believe you have to put that fact in the back of your mind sometimes,otherwise you're not much different from all the people that want to ban the breed.

And in fairness! I didn't know I was gonna end up with an APBT!!!

Don't doubt my training either,by next year he'd nearly be pissing when I tell him to
Back to top Go down
ellenoh2003
puppy
puppy
ellenoh2003

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 3:34 am

Hayls25 wrote:
You do have a point lads, I'm just saying if you have somewhere to go where you know for certain no one else is, then it's not a problem, like an empty field and you have the landowners permission for example..
I am in no way condoning bulldogs running riot on a beach full of people or in a park!

No hope of asking a farmer either way! The amount of time i'm spent in Kerry,everytime I meet an ol fella,he says oh you're from cork? ....the county where they shoot their own?

FS! lol! angry
Back to top Go down
doylerx2
Bully
Bully
doylerx2

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:04 am

i think if its safe to let your dog have a run or swim then its ok some days i walk on a very isolated stretch of the canal and as long as i can see its clear ahead and behind us i let charlie off , approaching bends or blind spots i clip the lead back on
Back to top Go down
ellenoh2003
puppy
puppy
ellenoh2003

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:27 am

And as i'm a newbie and you don't know me,I'd never give 100% trust, did that with the mastiff, I was the only one to walk him,only one to feed him,had him since a pup,yet after 2 years,the nite I left,I left because my ex attacked me and the dog got into a frenzy or whatever you say and after everything I did for him and with him,the dog attacked me too. Lesson learned,was disgusted more than anything. Doesn't matter how much love or respect you give them. You can NEVER trust them fully
Back to top Go down
Harry
Bully
Bully

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 3:34 pm

It wasn't meant as a dig by me (or Egan I assume) we were and are just trying to help you learn things the easy way and not the hard way.

No matter how much socializing you do it won't change the type of dog you have, no matter if it's a SBT or an APBT they still can't be trusted with other dogs at all. The amount of people on this forum that have changed their views in the last 12 months or so is very eye-opening. There was a lot of people with similar aged dogs that got on great with everything else, then almost one-by-one they matured and what's known in the breed as 'turned on'

Some people were very lucky and were very helpful to me in changing my thoughts before I got my dog so I never had the problems... I.E. Learned the Easy Way and not by trial & error.

I bought a Staff and since he was a pup didn't leave him alone with the other dogs and still don't let him off-leash and I live literally in the middle of nowhere lol. He's generally a good dog but since he was 10mos he doesn't get on with strange male dogs and it's more pronounced it's getting. I don't mind because I expected it.

Just a heads up that things mightn't always be Rosy with Rooney Wink
Back to top Go down
ellenoh2003
puppy
puppy
ellenoh2003

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Harry wrote:
It wasn't meant as a dig by me (or Egan I assume) we were and are just trying to help you learn things the easy way and not the hard way.

No matter how much socializing you do it won't change the type of dog you have, no matter if it's a SBT or an APBT they still can't be trusted with other dogs at all. The amount of people on this forum that have changed their views in the last 12 months or so is very eye-opening. There was a lot of people with similar aged dogs that got on great with everything else, then almost one-by-one they matured and what's known in the breed as 'turned on'

Some people were very lucky and were very helpful to me in changing my thoughts before I got my dog so I never had the problems... I.E. Learned the Easy Way and not by trial & error.

I bought a Staff and since he was a pup didn't leave him alone with the other dogs and still don't let him off-leash and I live literally in the middle of nowhere lol. He's generally a good dog but since he was 10mos he doesn't get on with strange male dogs and it's more pronounced it's getting. I don't mind because I expected it.

Just a heads up that things mightn't always be Rosy with Rooney Wink

So do they dramatically change with ...shall we say "puberty"! That is a worry with me, I found out after that he's a daddy already, surely that'll change his temperament? He was only a pup himself and they bred him. I would guess from that that there'll be possibly major problems with other male dogs....it's obviously bound to happen at some stage but he should have started getting that way early right?
Back to top Go down
ellenoh2003
puppy
puppy
ellenoh2003

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 3:43 pm

And I know ye're not having a go, it's a forum and lots of opinions flying around and i'm only back in the game pi**ing time! Lol! Ye're advice is certainly appreciated, takes me a while to shut up! I totally got what ye were saying, just mad to get my opinions out too (",)!!
Back to top Go down
Harry
Bully
Bully

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 3:54 pm

I don't know about the breeding part of things changing, I personally doubt it'd have a profound affect over what is already genetically set in motion to occur.

As for the 'sudden change' it's different from dog to dog. Like some dogs can get in a scrap one day and never be socialable again after that. Where's others don't even need a trigger and can switch from being a friendly pup to a fight crazy adult. A lot of the time it's quite a gradual progress which if you look out for it as a pup you can see growing stronger with time.

With my dog at his first show at 7mos he was playing with other pups and got on with most, but when dogs barked far away he was very alert. Then at the next one he was much more ballsy, and was even looking for it abit with other males, especially Egan's dog lol. At the last show in Carlow at 13mos he was properly up for it, not as much as most APBTs are but very fiery for the SBT of today. He's not completely balls to the wall but there's no chance he'll sit quietly with other dogs around any more, maybe bitches and small pups but not males, he's up and at 'em lol!
Back to top Go down
christy
Daddy
Daddy
christy

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:00 pm

its called the gruesome twosome's, ha ha when they reach two yrs old they change . some at 18mths , but that said ive seen some get on , not many ,lol,
Back to top Go down
Egan
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
Egan

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:08 pm

varies from dog to dog.iv some who arent a boder wit others and some that hate the sight of another dog.some are like it from pups some never are unless there around dogs that are trying to get them.hav adults who are fine with all dogs and i have a pup who hates everything ha.dats one the things comes with the breed if you have other dogs dont be surprised if they dont get on as it gets older
Back to top Go down
Harry
Bully
Bully

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:09 pm

There's pups at 6 weeks that have to be seperated sometimes, I think I read before that there was a bitch in America was Cold (term used for dogs who don't fight) until she was 4! then she flipped.

There's various extremes but most examples of this type of dog will change their temperment at some stage and no longer be good with other dogs.
Back to top Go down
ellenoh2003
puppy
puppy
ellenoh2003

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:24 pm

First dog was a sbt, had him from a pup, lazy out, pure slob and always up for fun but as ye said when he got towards teenager in dog years! He was a cocky saucy pup,came out of nowhere! Developed slowly from there, aggression was just in him, never brought out. It came through fully with his loyalty, my ma was stuck up on top of the kitchen table the day before she sold him on me coz she shouted at me too much in Tyson's opinion. He just sat on the kitchen floor and kept her there for hours. Got his eye teeth? He was older than 1 and a half but not 2?

Rooney...I can see what ye're saying in him. He's quiet...but too quiet...very very alert. He went into guarding the house way too quick,walking him I know the way he's standing when he can hear something way down the road that I can't that there is a big possibility he'll go for something some day soon. He's 14 months. My toddler is a right drama queen and screams her head off when she doesn't get her own way,he's out like a shot to see what's wrong with her. Hasn't been introduced to other family or friends so will have to be careful there. It's that quiet streak is a warning sign to me at the moment. That mixed with the overprotectiveness is trouble?
Back to top Go down
jumper
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
jumper

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:28 pm

it's very simple
apbt's , ast's and sbt's can be more dog agressive than other breeds
socialose the dog as best u can
be prepared for a potential accident and try to avoid situations where an accident may occur
buy or make a pair of good quality breaksticks(stillwater sell good breaksticks)
learn how to use a break stick
have one near your back door and one near your front door, never walk the dog without a muzzel or a breakstick in your pocket
make sure your partner also learns how to use a breakstick

prevention is better than cure

these precautions should be considered carefully when owning a apbt, ast or sbt; or any cross or mix of

all dogs are individuals and have different personalities; your dog may or may not have issues with other animals as he matures; if he does have issues with other animal, well it's part and parcel of owning one of the afore mentioned breeds

they make wonderful pets either way
Back to top Go down
Harry
Bully
Bully

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:42 pm

I'd also like to say it's not Human Aggression i'm talking about when I say that this type of dog 'turns on'. I'm talking 100% about DA, becoming aggressive with Animals and Dogs.

I know some people have a different attitude towards protectiveness vs. HA, but I personally don't want to have any SBT/APBT who has HA tendencies, if Eddie ever tried to bite me or a family member he'd be pushing up daisies. My two other dogs are fine watch dogs, I don't need a Bull Breed dog doing the same. I have lots of young cousins and I couldn't live with myself if anything happened them because I was too soft and didn't do what was right with a HA dog... which up until now I have no problems with, only chance I'll get injured is from that stupid fucking chain, nearly pulled the ear off me twice now from him wrapping me up. That or being too slow when playing but that's not an Aggressive action IMO, that's the handler not being good enough lol
Back to top Go down
ellenoh2003
puppy
puppy
ellenoh2003

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:49 pm

jumper wrote:
it's very simple
apbt's , ast's and sbt's can be more dog agressive than other breeds
socialose the dog as best u can
be prepared for a potential accident and try to avoid situations where an accident may occur
buy or make a pair of good quality breaksticks(stillwater sell good breaksticks)
learn how to use a break stick
have one near your back door and one near your front door, never walk the dog without a muzzel or a breakstick in your pocket
make sure your partner also learns how to use a breakstick

prevention is better than cure

these precautions should be considered carefully when owning a apbt, ast or sbt; or any cross or mix of

all dogs are individuals and have different personalities; your dog may or may not have issues with other animals as he matures; if he does have issues with other animal, well it's part and parcel of owning one of the afore mentioned breeds

they make wonderful pets either way

Personally I feel it's best I walk him in future! Husbands reflexes are not too great...didn't mail Stillwater yet so I'll list the few things and send the mail altogether. Seen my uncles with the equivalent of what you get now,so should feel comfortable in the event of using one. He's only going to be a "bad dog" if I let him be. So I know it's my responsibility if he does wrong. It's a big responsibility!!! But yeah,well worth it when you get to own one and do it right Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ellenoh2003
puppy
puppy
ellenoh2003

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Harry wrote:
I'd also like to say it's not Human Aggression i'm talking about when I say that this type of dog 'turns on'. I'm talking 100% about DA, becoming aggressive with Animals and Dogs.

I know some people have a different attitude towards protectiveness vs. HA, but I personally don't want to have any SBT/APBT who has HA tendencies, if Eddie ever tried to bite me or a family member he'd be pushing up daisies. My two other dogs are fine watch dogs, I don't need a Bull Breed dog doing the same. I have lots of young cousins and I couldn't live with myself if anything happened them because I was too soft and didn't do what was right with a HA dog... which up until now I have no problems with, only chance I'll get injured is from that stupid fucking chain, nearly pulled the ear off me twice now from him wrapping me up. That or being too slow when playing but that's not an Aggressive action IMO, that's the handler not being good enough lol

I'm the same. Love dogs but I've to protect my own too. I wouldn't be soft that way at all. Fine line, once that's crossed it's a different story altogether. The HA...mastiff-as I said, was disgusted. Loved the dog but when he did that, I despised him,when I collected my stuff he came up to me wagging his tail n crap,and I pushed him away with hatred. Crossed the line. With Tyson,I was 14 or 15, didn't get it 100% at the time to be honest, but she did more than shout...he was minding me, and he got punished, that's what upset me (way back then in the dark age! Lol!) I thought aggression was aggression, didn't know a dog that despised any other animals would be capable of not showing anything similar to any human
Back to top Go down
jumper
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
jumper

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 5:03 pm

bad dog ???

if he becomes dog agressive and gets involved in an incident, that will NOT make him a bad dog, that is just genetics for the breed
mine have issues with other dogs; but I would nevre consider them "Bad Dogs"

if a dog becomes human agressive, then it is a liability and needs to be pts

dogs bite for different reasons, excite biters, fear biters, redirection of agression biters, protection/territorial biters, etc....
Human Agression is completely different to the different types of biters mentioned

I own a redirector of agression biter; if he has an atlercation with another dog and I stop it, he will attempt to bite me so he can resume his attack on the other dog
I have an excite and a fear biter, if she gets excited she will nip and if I attempt to grab her if she is doing something she will turn to bite out of fear
I also have a protection biter
NONE of these dogs are human agressive, but they have the potential to bite in certain circumstances
I would not consider them "bad dogs"
Back to top Go down
ellenoh2003
puppy
puppy
ellenoh2003

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 5:15 pm

jumper wrote:
bad dog ???

if he becomes dog agressive and gets involved in an incident, that will NOT make him a bad dog, that is just genetics for the breed
mine have issues with other dogs; but I would nevre consider them "Bad Dogs"

if a dog becomes human agressive, then it is a liability and needs to be pts

dogs bite for different reasons, excite biters, fear biters, redirection of agression biters, protection/territorial biters, etc....
Human Agression is completely different to the different types of biters mentioned

I own a redirector of agression biter; if he has an atlercation with another dog and I stop it, he will attempt to bite me so he can resume his attack on the other dog
I have an excite and a fear biter, if she gets excited she will nip and if I attempt to grab her if she is doing something she will turn to bite
I also have a protection biter
NONE of these dogs are human agressive, but they have the potential to bite in certain circumstances
I would not consider them "bad dogs"

That was why it was in inverted commas-no such thing as a bad dog,depends on what is done to them or with them. But if something happened and it was too late, the dog would be viewed by others as I bad dog I feel, yes once they cross the line they need to be pts, it's horrible but has to happen. I just hate to see a dog get to that stage. With the mastiff I was told about a year later that my ex was beating him and teasing him when I was in work. He was put to sleep afterwards. I seen Tyson a few years afterwards,didn't go to a good place,didn't even recognise me
Back to top Go down
izzy11
Bully
Bully
izzy11

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 2:51 am

my pit izzy is very friendly round other dogs and has a sweet temperament and is very submissive round them but she is only 14 months and we realize that she will probably not always be like this and could change once she reaches two.. i also know someone who has a female pit and she raised every type of animal her owner rescued or fostered and got on great with other dogs but when she hit two she turned into a totally different dog..
Back to top Go down
ellenoh2003
puppy
puppy
ellenoh2003

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 3:18 am

Plenty of experiences there for the fact that it will happen,just not sure when?! Lol! When we were doing the searching anyway,any adult dog we seen said doesn't get on with other dogs bar one! So that can't be coincidence! I should really enjoy walking him being not bothered about other dogs,will obviously have my hands full by next year! I try to go when there isn't any other dogs about but there's a lot of dog owners down here! Just wish they'd have theirs on a lead...
Back to top Go down
Hayls25
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
Hayls25

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 10:11 am

Louie's sister Ruby was always a feisty little thing but she used to get on with other animals til she was around 10 mths.. Now she will go for ANY dog she sees. There was no "trigger" that ever set her off, it just happened one day. My dog (her litter mate) has never went for another dog. He's now almost 2 and a half and still thankfully hasn't changed. Very dominant over other dogs but as long as the other dog is submissive it's happy days. I would dread to think what would happen with another dominant dog..
Back to top Go down
ellenoh2003
puppy
puppy
ellenoh2003

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 10:14 am

Hayls25 wrote:
Louie's sister Ruby was always a feisty little thing but she used to get on with other animals til she was around 10 mths.. Now she will go for ANY dog she sees. There was no "trigger" that ever set her off, it just happened one day. My dog (her litter mate) has never went for another dog. He's now almost 2 and a half and still thankfully hasn't changed. Very dominant over other dogs but as long as the other dog is submissive it's happy days. I would dread to think what would happen with another dominant dog..

Jesus! Her litter mate and different! Shows they all have their own personality at least
Back to top Go down
izzy11
Bully
Bully
izzy11

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 10:22 am

Hayls25 wrote:

yea louie is VERY friendly with izzy and she loves it lol! he is very good with other dogs, our SBT doesnt like other dogs at all he can be a bit DA defo wouldnt trust him with other dogs...
Back to top Go down
ellenoh2003
puppy
puppy
ellenoh2003

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 10:28 am

izzy11 wrote:
Hayls25 wrote:

yea louie is VERY friendly with izzy and she loves it lol! he is very good with other dogs, our SBT doesnt like other dogs at all he can be a bit DA defo wouldnt trust him with other dogs...

Rooney left his "woman" behind so I don't actually know what he'd be like with another dog actually around him, bar the walks! He was with the girlfriend! An sbt from more or less day 1 I was told so it's not much help! Can't say he's good with other dogs (which was said to me) when it's in that case!
Back to top Go down
ellenoh2003
puppy
puppy
ellenoh2003

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 11:04 am

As we were discussing.....

Never trust a dog not to fight. Dogs of any breed can exhibit intolerance toward other dogs.

Dogs may fight over hierarchic status, food, toys, or rawhides. External stimulus or excitement can also trigger a fight. Remember that any canine can fight, regardless of breed. If you frequent a dog park, you’ve surely seen a fight occur among a pack of dogs for reasons not discernible to humans. Owners should separate their dogs if they cannot closely supervise them.

Dog aggression (that is, aggression shown by dogs towards other dogs) is a complicated matter. Like most things in life, it is not a black-and-white issue. We should not think of dog aggression as a binary (dog aggressive/not dog aggressive) but as a spectrum: dogs can exhibit zero dog aggression, dog aggression only in some situations, a high level of dog aggression, or dog aggression that falls somewhere in between these points.

Given their historical circumstances, pit bulls can be less tolerant of dogs than other breeds. Pit bull owners must understand that their dogs may not get along with all other dogs. There are several levels of dog tolerance. Many dogs are great with other dogs and enjoy the company of fellow canines. Some dogs do well only with dogs of the opposite sex. Some are fine with dogs they were raised with but intolerant of new dogs. Some dogs are tolerant of other dogs except for in limited circumstances, such as when greeting a new person. Others cannot accept any other dogs. All of this should suggest that dogs are individuals and should be treated as such.

Owners need to understand their particular dog’s acceptance level of other dogs and manage their dog appropriately when around other animals.

A dog's tolerance level can change during its lifetime, and owners need to be aware of these changes so they can properly manage their dogs while in the company of other dogs.

Some dogs become less tolerant as they mature from puppyhood to adult, while others become more accepting as they mature into the senior years. Some can become more tolerant with socialization and training.

Regardless of breed, there are many dogs that do not like other dogs, and all dog owners need to be responsible. This means following the basic rules of dog ownership: keeping your dog on leash at all times, not letting your charge unfamiliar dogs, and supervising your valued companion at all times (i.e. not leaving your dog in the backyard without supervision).

For pit bull owners, the stakes are always higher. While pit bulls may not instigate a fight, they often won’t back down from a challenge. Inevitably, no matter who “started it,” no matter what the circumstances, the pit bull will always be blamed. Each incident in which a pit bull gets blamed jeopardizes our right to own these great dogs. Keep your dog out of trouble!

That said, many pit bulls get along great with other pets and may live happily with other dogs without incident. We simply cannot assume that this is true for all of them. We also cannot take for granted that pit bulls who get along with other pets today will do so tomorrow. None of this should suggest that, in the language of popular myth, pit bulls are more likely to “snap” or “turn.” It only means that their attitude toward other dogs may change as they mature.

Pit bull owners must show common sense by ensuring that they don't set their dogs up to fail by putting them in inappropriate situations. It is every dog owner’s responsibility to ensure that they are managing their dog’s needs and looking out for their dog’s safety at all times.
Please remember that, as we note throughout the site, animal aggression and human aggression are two entirely distinct behaviors and should never be confused. Pit bulls are, by nature, very good with people. They are, in fact, one of the most loving, loyal, friendly, and dedicated companions one can have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: newborn in killarney   newborn in killarney - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

newborn in killarney
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
EIRE PIT BULLS :: PLEASE SAY HELLO-
Jump to: