EIRE PIT BULLS
TO VIEW THE FULL SITE YOU MUST JOIN THE FORUM. THIS WILL ONLY TAKE A MINUTE.
EIRE PIT BULLS
TO VIEW THE FULL SITE YOU MUST JOIN THE FORUM. THIS WILL ONLY TAKE A MINUTE.
EIRE PIT BULLS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a open forum to discuss the American Pit Bull terrier, not only in Ireland but worldwide

HomeEire linksLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Hello All

Go down 
+4
jumper
Egan
butch
muzzle
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
muzzle
puppy
puppy

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Hello All   Hello All EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 3:47 pm

As way of introduction, I want to learn about Pit Bulls and found this site. I enjoy working with my dogs, not pit bulls, but I spend a lot of time with them working and training. Anyway I am here to research the breed because I plan on possibly getting a pup. I would be interested in a pit bull bred for purpose and not apperances. If there is anyone here who breeds or trains for function more than companionship I'd love to find out about the breed as a working dog. Any help would be greatfully recieved. Looking forward to reading the old posts. I have been involved in training dogs for protection, tracking (friendly and hostile) agility and control for a while now so if I can contribute I will.
Back to top Go down
butch
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
butch

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 3:52 pm

welcom scratch muzzle Suspect
Back to top Go down
http://www.irishpitbulls.com
Egan
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
Egan

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 4:08 pm

how ye doing any dog can be trained for the use you want but of course you would want a athletic type but if ye want to do protection work and tracking i would go with a malinos pitbulls are really companion dogs of course they have been used for protection work but i wouldnt pick one myself i am also doing a bit of tracking training they do very well at agility that is for sure were abouts do you do your training are ye in ireland or abroad
Back to top Go down
muzzle
puppy
puppy

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Yeah I'm in Ireland, Cork. I have a couple of Malinois but am interested in getting a PB not speciffically for being the best in the above mentioned disiplines but to ad to my learning experience. Definetly an athletic type.
Back to top Go down
Egan
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
Egan

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 4:43 pm

well the best thing if ye are looking would just to keep your eyes open here you will bound to see a pup that catches your eye.but i hav to say they do brilliant at agility my pup when he was only twelve weeks old went running around all the obstacles he wasnt even supposed to be doin it but up and down the see saw through the tunnels not a boder imo the dogs that do best at these type of things have no fear and a pitbull definetley doesnt have any fear but for protection i wouldnt use them iv seen them being used before and being brilliant at it but i wouldnt take the chance if some one saw a malinois training in protection they would be impressed and intrested but if they seen a pit doing it they would call it vicious but at the end of the day its up to you.im very intrested in the protection work what would you say would be the best dog for it i would go for a malinois

Last edited by egan344 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
jumper
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
jumper

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 4:43 pm

welcome along Very Happy

Back to top Go down
muzzle
puppy
puppy

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

Egan; ".im very intrested in the protection work what would you say would be the best dog for it i would go for a malinois"

Even within the breed (Malinois) there is a huge amount of useless dogs. To talk about the breed as a whole, or the ideal of the breed then yeah they can be fantastic protection dogs. But in order to answer the question I'd have to take into consideration the temprement and experience of the handler as well as what type of protection ie; personal, comercial, sport. What environment the dog is going to live in.

I'm not trying to avoid the question. I love Malinois but they are a big responsability. And due to a rise in popularity people are breeding for dollars with no interest in the breed and producing crap, weak nerved animals.

If you are interested in protection I'm in Dublin every now and then so I could give you a look at what I'm doing if I have a dog with me.

Back to top Go down
Egan
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
Egan

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 5:09 pm

yeah that would be great would love to see a well traied protection dog in the flesh Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Suki
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
Suki

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 5:49 pm

welcome to the forum. i hope you enjoy your stay.
this breed loves to work! i personally dislike seeing them used for protection training, due to the fact that i think they get a bad enuff rap as it is. couple that with people seeing a pit bull being trained to protect, hence an arm in its mouth and it just fuels their already undeserved reputation. as far as work goes, here in the states, at least, they make GREAT weight pullers, excel at agility and can hog hunt like nobody's business.
i'm happy to se you're researching first, prior to ownership. i wish more potential owners would do that as well. this breed gives you a WHOLE LOTTA BANG FOR YOUR BUCK and pound per pound they are the strongest of their size. as you know, they're a high energy breed and require lots of exercise. they're prone to DA, so be prepared. also, they can be a lil head strong and need a firm hand~which it sounds, you already have experience with. Wink

anyhow, welcome and welcome to the wonderful world of the pit bull.
Back to top Go down
muzzle
puppy
puppy

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 5:57 pm

thanks Suki, I understand your concerns for the image of the breed. Personaly I don't see weight pulling as work cause I like to see a dog tested mentally, I know it takes strgnth and at times heart but just not my thing.

If it is at all reasuring I believe a protection dog should be an ambassador for it's breed, social well behaved good with kids etc.

Back to top Go down
jumper
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
jumper

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 6:07 pm

I think the point that's being put across is that APBT already HAVE a bad (& undeserved) reputation

They are banned in a no. of western european countries

I can understand your point of view, in a perfect world a highly trained pitbull capable of what you speak of [quote]" I believe a protection dog should be an ambassador for it's breed, social well behaved good with kids etc. " would be an excellent ambassador, but with ppl already going around with the wrong idea of the breed, seeing one showcasing it's protection skills, to the untrained eye, could do more damage to the breeds reputation

Back to top Go down

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 8:56 am

Hello,

nice to see you Henry Very Happy
Back to top Go down
muzzle
puppy
puppy

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 9:52 am

Howdy Jumper, I understand the breed has suffered from public relations problems and I suppose that can be put down to a variety of factors. Anyway I have my herders for security if I do find a good pit bull it will not be for that purpose. Do people find them any good for keeping the rat population down, maybe people who live ruraly?

Personaly I like that any dog I have to have a purpose, I think it makes for a happier dog.

Thanks for the welcome Harry.
Back to top Go down
vinny
THE BOSS
vinny

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 10:47 am

welcome, i think if your looking a rat dog get a jack russel. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 10:57 am

I don't think they'd be well suited to catching rats, maybe a really small one?

Last edited by Harry on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
butch
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
butch

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 11:02 am

vinny wrote:
welcome, i think if your looking a rat dog get a jack russel. Very Happy
not bing smart muzzel but vinnei was quick LOL
did u mean 2 leged rats scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.irishpitbulls.com
jumper
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
jumper

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 11:23 am

muzzle wrote:
Do people find them any good for keeping the rat population down, maybe people who live ruraly?

as far as I know, there's a far greater rat population in the citys, where did u say u are again, Cork?? bounce
Back to top Go down

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 11:26 am

Put up those vids of the dogs going around the wall that's class Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jumper
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
jumper

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 11:28 am

Harry wrote:
Put up those vids of the dogs going around the wall that's class Very Happy

??? scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
Suki
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
Suki

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 11:56 am

if you click on here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and go about a 1/3 of the way down, (right above the pic of the blk/wht fox terrier) there is a lil history about ratting.

so, i would say yes, " Do people find them any good for keeping the rat population down, maybe people who live ruraly?" ratting could still be a function today with the APBT if the need warranted it. there's where i think instinct kicks right back in and how genetis would play a part.
...their prey drive, (at least my dogs) is nuts! lightening quick and keeps you completely on your toes!
Back to top Go down

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:00 pm

Muzzle was on the other site aswell, and left it after awhile because he was getting a similar kind of replies as you were (Jumper) when you were there Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Egan
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
Egan

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:03 pm

imo i wouldnt let my dogs do ratting ye never know what they would catch of them if ye really want something for ratting get a cat lol! imo i think pitbulls shouldnt be used for anything like that or even hunting they hav way to bad of a rep already and if someone saw a pit running around even killing rats they mite think its dangerous
Back to top Go down
jumper
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
jumper

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Harry wrote:
Muzzle was on the other site aswell, and left it after awhile because he was getting a similar kind of replies as you were (Jumper) when you were there Very Happy

yeah? I can't blame him for that, small minded attitudes control that other forum

but I've only ever seen small terriers used for ratting, & only to help protect grain stock, etc... on farms
I've seen whippets that were EXCELLENT at ratting, but never seen a pit bull used for it, but as Suki said, instincts kick in quickly, I've seen the bull baiting instincts kick regarding cows & horses, so I'd imagine they'd be very capable ratters, as it is what they were used for originally in pits
Back to top Go down
jumper
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
jumper

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:12 pm

egan344 wrote:
imo i wouldnt let my dogs do ratting ye never know what they would catch of them if ye really want something for ratting get a cat lol! imo i think pitbulls shouldnt be used for anything like that or even hunting they hav way to bad of a rep already and if someone saw a pit running around even killing rats they mite think its dangerous

Ratting is mostly carried out on farm yards, it's a good idea to have a stock of good antibiotics in case a dog is bitten by a rat, anyone witnessing a dog ratting would be happy with the outcome, as their grain/feed, etc... is being protected
Back to top Go down

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:14 pm

my neighbour has a JRT and it's mother killed 47rats in 2days at a 'recycling centre' she was a crazy little dog, there was no survivors at the dump Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello All Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Hello All Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello All
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
EIRE PIT BULLS :: PLEASE SAY HELLO-
Jump to: