EIRE PIT BULLS
TO VIEW THE FULL SITE YOU MUST JOIN THE FORUM. THIS WILL ONLY TAKE A MINUTE.
EIRE PIT BULLS
TO VIEW THE FULL SITE YOU MUST JOIN THE FORUM. THIS WILL ONLY TAKE A MINUTE.
EIRE PIT BULLS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a open forum to discuss the American Pit Bull terrier, not only in Ireland but worldwide

HomeEire linksLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Newbie from Dublin (northside)

Go down 
+6
jumper
alan81
vinny
Macker
doylerx2
Cor
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cor
Newborn
Newborn

Newbie from Dublin (northside) Empty
PostSubject: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 6:15 am

Hi all, just a few lines to introduce myself, as you can see from my title I'm from the northside of Dublin, that's not to frighten you off ;-) that's just give you an idea of what part of Dublin I'm in, by the way, my mother was a southsider and my father is a northsider so I have dual citizenship!!!
Anyway, I found this site while trawling the Internet doing a bit of research on English bull terriers, growing up we always had dogs and had at one stage had a pitbull/english bull mix, a fantastic pet, faithful till the end.
I've heard that its hard enough to get a good decent English bull terrier in Ireland, I've made inquires and done my research and the name that crops up the most is Ger Cox!! I've heard about a few others around the country but Ger Cox is the name most EBT owners recommend,so I would like to hear from anyone who got a pup from him to tell me how they got on and how their dog is getting on at the moment..........also, by the way I've got a 3yr old beagle at the mo, so has anyone got any advice about introducing a EBT puppy to the family. Cheers, thanks.
Back to top Go down
doylerx2
Bully
Bully
doylerx2

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 8:22 am

welcome i think chris on here got bruno from ger cox
Back to top Go down
Macker
Junior
Junior
Macker

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Welcome along, the nicest I've seen is the ingle bred bull terriers in England, I think they are far nicer that the kennel club stuff over here. I was at the kennel club show on Saturday in the national show Center and the ebt's were an Embarrassment to what the dog is actually meant to represent. They were all overgrown and mud fat.
Back to top Go down
vinny
THE BOSS
vinny

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 3:57 pm

welcome...ye roza on here has mates with cracking working type ebt...far nicer than the kennel club stuff..
Back to top Go down
vinny
THE BOSS
vinny

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 4:00 pm

ps...alot of member on here are north Dublin..
Back to top Go down
Cor
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 4:21 pm

What's the story macker? Was that show you were at not on paddys day? I was out there meself and met a lad with a pure white EBT pup, Lovely looking dog, said he got it from Ger Cox, dog looked good enough to me, only stayed for an hour left at 12:30 so didn't see any EBT's after that pup.
Back to top Go down
Macker
Junior
Junior
Macker

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 am

I was at the big show on Saturday, there was a few ebt at it but they weren't very nice at all, they all looked over fed and very unfit, I'm a big fan of the breed but unfortunately this is how the show people think the breed should be and it's only gonna get worse. The ones I saw must have been 70 or 80lb just not what I think should represent the breed.
Back to top Go down
Cor
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 12:26 pm

'Story macker, surely the overweight problem is the owners fault, feeding them too much and not giving them the right amount of excersise, I've looked at breeders in the uk and Germany over the Internet and some of the dogs are fablulous specimens but I have no way of getting there and transporting an EBT back home, so I think I'll have to look nearer home. Even though Co Clare is light years away from where I live ;-) it seems Mr. Cox has it sown up here. I mean a good tempered EBT is what you usually get from the kc's, don't want to go down the road of getting one from the back of a farm in Leitrim or the back of a garden in finglas, nothing wrong with these areas by the way, I'm just talking about the history and background of the dog.
Back to top Go down
doylerx2
Bully
Bully
doylerx2

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:25 pm

i think what macker meant was that the dogs are overweight to please the judges as that is what wins rosettes and trophies , the dogs health is not the most important thing in show dogs, look at the german shepherds as an example of another breed ruined by showing standards, i read on another site a judge told a fella his staff was too fit looking
Back to top Go down
Macker
Junior
Junior
Macker

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:46 pm

Ger Cox's stuff is as good as any show dogs anywhere in my opinion, I really like some of his miniatures but the show style ones aren't for me.

Here are some pics of the kennel club type ebt's and some of the Ingle bred ones in the UK. No comparison really.

Kennel club ones
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Ingle's old time type ebt

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
Back to top Go down
Cor
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Yeah doyler I know what yer saying, them pics you put up macker are very good at showing what the bull terrier came from to be what he is now in some people's minds, I've seen a lot of that ingles type in books as I was reading about the breed, ingles breeds are very "old skool" but I kinda like what they have become now, I don't like the overweight/ big muscley shape the kc is saying is the breed, I think I'd try and keep him in better shape then some of them. Do you know anyone who has bought and brought one of the ingles breed back to Ireland?
Back to top Go down
alan81
puppy
puppy
alan81

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:24 pm

I don't have an ebt but if I was looking for 1 I would definitely get 1 of those ingle dogs there not ruined by the show ring. There what the dog should be. If you want a KC type dog you'll get 1 from almost anywhere in Ireland but those lngle dogs macker put pics up of are far nicer dogs imo.
Back to top Go down
jumper
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
jumper

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:50 pm

kc ebt's have some serious health problems,
working type are healthier overall
Back to top Go down
united
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 5:43 pm

What's a working type? All bull terrier's are ruined imo, I've never heard of let alone seen one bred for work. Only ever seen one of those ingle's and it had bad health issue's from what owner said. It looked just like a friend's kc show dog's when he can be arsed to trim his up abit.
Back to top Go down
Cor
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 5:46 pm

I seen a lad in my local park who had a bullie imported from "the joker kennels" in Germany and his dog was as lean as ingles but much more the shape and style of the kc. I've looked at photos of "Bruno" on this site and I don't know about you lads but I think he's a good looking EBT. I think he fits the bill of what the EBT has evolved into in this century........ I know the purists would prefare the ingles type. And I'm not slagging off anybody I'm just saying like.
Back to top Go down
jumper
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
jumper

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 6:07 pm

united wrote:
What's a working type? All bull terrier's are ruined imo, I've never heard of let alone seen one bred for work. Only ever seen one of those ingle's and it had bad health issue's from what owner said. It looked just like a friend's kc show dog's when he can be arsed to trim his up abit.

yes they are ruined as a breed, an english lady that bred them for 25+ years and showed kc types throughout europe explained to me a few times the health issues in the breed and her reasons to stop keeping, breeding and showing them; she also advised me to look at "working bull terriers" kept in Germany and Russia, dogs that are used on badger and boar in europe, that from her experience had less health issues, but would never win or place in a kc show; she did mention some ppl names that keep and work them in Germany, I will ask her again when I am speaking to her
Back to top Go down
alan81
puppy
puppy
alan81

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 6:29 pm

united iv seen a few bred for work, hunting. theres a reason you havent seen any working bred dogs its because the kc ruined them, they turned the dog into what they wanted it to look like and forgot all about working ability and as most people dont use there dogs for work they followed suite because they were told thats what the dog should look like. this has happened not only to the ebt but also the staff, red setter, fox terrier, lakeland, german sheperd, aredale terrier, weaton terrier just to name a few. theres also a reason why theres so many working type pitbulls around people are working there pitbulls what ever it may be.
Back to top Go down
Cor
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 10:37 am

Anyway lads thanks for all that info, every days a school day! Never knew that type of ingles breed of EBT even existed today, nice to know.
One more thing, has anyone ever introduced a puppy EBT into the family where there's a dog already in the house? I did many years ago, my mother had a terrier cross bitch and I got a pitbull/EBT cross from a mates brother. Me da thought there would be a bit of bother but the little terrier ruled the roost, took no nonsence from the pitbull/EBT cross.
I already have a 3yr old beagle and was wondering how they'd get along.
Back to top Go down
alan81
puppy
puppy
alan81

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 11:12 am

if the ebt is a young pup you shouldent have too much hassle just keep praising your beagle when he is good with the pup. beagles are usually good with other dogs a lot of people keep 10 or more in the 1 pen with no hassle.
Back to top Go down
Cor
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 11:16 am

I know Alan, this beagle is non confrontational, he would rather walk around the long way if he meets dogs he doesn't know, he runs with 2/3 other beagle in the park as well as other breeds, 1 is actually a EBT bitch, no hassle. Tanx.
Back to top Go down
united
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 8:00 pm

@ Alan
The bull terrier was ruined from day 1 and not by the kc. Hinks originally bred them not for work but to be a show breed and fancier's since till today have carried on this show tradition. The breed wasn't and never has been a working breed. Those other breed's mentioned were originally breed for a function then turned into show breeds, so are ruined breed's. The bull terriers original function is showing.
I've seen a good few work but none were ever bred of working parent's with the intension the offspring be workers. Rather they were aquired by their owner's who later worked them or tried to.

@ Jumper I lived in Germany for a few month's in the 80's. And had read somewhere that some were worked there on boar and used for fighting. So tried to meet owners of the dog's I'd read of. Never did see any of the fighting owner's (not sure they even existed) but I did meet one boar hunter that had tried bull terriers long before I met him, but he said the pure bred were useless at boar, they prefered cross bred dog's much as the Aussie pig hunter's do today. Klaus was his name, I can't remember surname.
Back to top Go down
chris139ryan
puppy
puppy
chris139ryan

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 8:23 am

I do agree to what is been said most of the ebt now a days are a complete disgrace, fat slow slobs. I was determined not to let bruno get this way. He is the best conditioned english bull iv seen in person and im not just saying this as hes my dog.
In my eyes an english bull should be much bigger and stronger than a staff but still remain lean.
I cant get my head around people who want that kc look and a dog of over 80pounds with terrible health.

As mentioned on my thread i pm'd you so anything you want to ask about ebt dont be afraid to ask

Oh and welcome to the site Very Happy

Last edited by chris139ryan on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alan81
puppy
puppy
alan81

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 3:42 pm

United I know lads that bred ebt's for work on fox and badger from working parents and they were not KC type they were dogs around the 50 to 60lbs mark and very capable.
Back to top Go down
united
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 am

Not being funny but fox and badger aint real work for the gladiator of the canine race is it?. That's alot of weight advantage those dog's have over the average sized charlie and brock, so are they such capable worker's given the advantage's they have?. I know one old timer who use to do the trial's many moon's ago and he could only name one Bull terrier that he could remember of the top of his head, passing the test.
Back to top Go down
Cor
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 10:09 am

Lads, quick one, chris sent me a pm, how do I get to read it? i'm on an iPhone by the way, do I have to have 10 posts to read them because I know I've to have 10 posts to send one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Dublin (northside)   Newbie from Dublin (northside) Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Dublin (northside)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next